Monday, January 26, 2009

It's been awhile...

We haven't had much interesting to post about lately...well, except for the battery swallowing ordeal...so here's a few recent pictures of the kids along with the condensed battery story.

Colton was playing with Ellie in her room and I went to check on them. When I opened the door Colton was "drinking" from a cup and I could hear something rattling in the cup. So I went to check it out and there was a little battery in the cup. After figuring out where the battery came from, and how many there should be, I frantically searched for the missing two batteries. Well, I couldn't find them anywhere and was certain he "drank" two batteries. I called and left a message for his nurse and decided I shouldn't wait for her return call so I loaded up the kids and went to the ER. It was a little frightening how quickly they processed us through to see a doctor and every time I showed a nurse or doctor the remaining battery they looked so concerned...needless to say I was pretty freaked out. They stood Colton on a little step stool and x-rayed his tummy and sure enough, there was a battery. Only one showed up and I was sure he had two in there but the doctor wasn't concerned about the missing one. He was only wanting to be sure there wasn't a battery stuck in his esophagus or in his lungs. Since it was just in his bowels they said he should pass it in the next 2-3 days and there should be nothing to worry about. We were very relieved at this point and were looking forward to the job of recovering the batteries. (not really : P )
So the next morning Colton did his business and I got to search through it for not one, but two, batteries! I was very happy to know they were out of his system and also happy that I only had to search through one diaper.
For a few days Colton would randomly lift up his shirt and pat his tummy. I think he must have been trying to talk about the adventures of x-rays and emergency rooms.


(wish I could say this was hair gel but he actually just finished wiping his food in his hair)


looking back, I wish I had taken my camera to get some pics at the ER. I especially wish I had a pic of the x-ray...it was actually kinda cool...but all I have is this pic of the recovered batteries.


the sweet, beautiful Ellie

Colton fell asleep on the way home from dance class so I laid him in front of the fire while I fixed lunch. Ellie decided to read...not to him...but on him.

1 comment:

The Barkdull Family.... said...

I love the last picture---I can't believe Colton could sleep through Ellie reading on him!